Thursday, September 26, 2013

Make and Do

You probably already know I quite like that new job although the hours are tiring and I'm not home nearly enough for my family and it's a pay drop and my teacher registration requires me to get back to it eventually.

BUT in the meantime, I get to make stuff.

Unfinished paintings of tangled up bunting on the grass. Hope to do more of these.

Every day.


Garden lantern based on some Spanish ones I saw.

Demonstrating is a great motivator. It pushes me out of my comfort zone and makes me try new things.
like skull sculptures, (who'd have thunk?)




or landscape painting

Mine is a bit Reg Mombasa- ish


with my sons (how special is that?)

His is a bit more lyrical and, dare I say it- feminine!
or trying an identity themed painting based on my 14 year old boy's festering old sneaker. He loved these sneakers so much that I had to hide them after 18 months when they were no longer his size and had become tissue thin. They remind me of him as he is now- messy, loyal, adventurous, a secret fashionisto and kind of unkempt in a lovable, boisterous way. So I drew his shoe.

It really had to go.
It was partly to demonstrate that an art work on identity didn't need to be a painted selfie but also to preserve a moment in time about him for him. I may have to do four more of these- and get more walls to hang things on!


It seems I am aways conscious of making memory points for them to have in case I can't remind them in person. After I impulsively indulged in a therapeutic end of term pedi the other day, the girls asked for a $5 manicure each. At four and ten years old, I would once have thought they were too young or it was silly. These days I go for the memory making option. Hopefully we'll all sit around and reminisce about their first manicure when I'm ninety!


14 comments:

  1. Memory making seems to be a wonderful recipe for parents. 5 Dollar manicure for little girls is lovely! I haven't seen it here around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed too. I think she knew I would only do it for a bargain.

      Delete
  2. gorgeous!!! pops always wants manicures at proper nail bar...i let her when she has her hair cuut and we have a girls day out! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like my kind of people Ms George! Nice to have you on board.

      Delete
  3. This is some fun stuff. Love it all in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shoe, I hope you're going to frame it for his bedroom wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some real talent there in your sons.
    I do love the sneaker.
    It's always so good to hear how your children are going and to see those beautiful girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're going well this year, thanks, DMC. We have resumed normal transmission and they feel it too.

      Delete
  6. Oh, his landscape is LOVELY! And when you're 90 I'll be 83 - better get my girls a manicure soon or they're bound to bring it up in that conversation and feel deprived. And that lantern - I want to spend some time in OUR art classroom now and make one for up here. I LOVE it too! Good grief. More for my list. Hope to see you soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The expressions on the girls faces are priceless.

    All childhoods boil down to memory points, although my lot seem to remember far too much stuff I'd rather they'd forgotten ... just never have occasion to boil a rat is all I'm saying because they'll still be reminding you about that when you're 90!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know! I think awe is an expression so often not seen at a nail bar. Is boiling a rat anything like boiling a bunny a la Glen Close?

      Delete
  8. Love this Post Annie! You're making great memories for your gang there. And some great art too, love the lantern :-) The shoe canvas is fantastic - it'll be a hit in his dorm room/flat/house down the track too x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best bit. Drop in if you have time. You are most welcome!

Popular Posts